Tuesday, January 8, 2008

In the Mists of Darkness

One of my family's New Year's resolutions is to read the Book of Mormon every night as a family. This being the 8th of January, we are on the 8th chapter of 1 Nephi. (We're on schedule so far!). You may know that the 8th chapter deals with Lehi's vision of the tree of life and the mists of darkness.

The mists of darkness seemed more real to me this time, since we've had dense fog for about a week now where I live. I can attest to the fact that fog can play tricks on the mind. It can make one feel claustrophobic, and also has the tendency to play tricks on the mind. Sometimes, what you think you see in front of you isn't really the truth.

On Sunday there was a 100 car pileup on the interstate near here, due to the fog and people driving too fast. It's no wonder that Lehi saw many fall into the river in his vision. Perhaps they were looking for shortcuts or going too quickly, over-confident in what they thought they saw in front of them.

I hope I always remember to slow down and take the sure routes in the mists of darkness of this world, both literal and spiritual.

No comments: