Monday, May 12, 2008

Revelation on Home Schooling?

A comment from Elders' quorum from a few weeks ago, when we got on the subject of over-protection of children (quoting from memory):

"Before I joined the church I wondered how we were going to protect our kids from the bad influences in the world. We considered home schooling. But then we joined the church and learned that the church is against home schooling because our kids need to experience the social aspects of school."

There was no reaction to this part of his comment and the lesson went on its merry way. If this comment had been made in Relief Society, I imagine the building would have gone up in smoke before the class period ended.

From what I can tell the church has no official position on home schooling, but if anyone knows where this person might have heard of this new revelation, I'd be interested. Of course, I could just ask him myself...

5 comments:

Keri Brooks said...

The only thing I've heard the church say about homeschooling was a letter read over the pulpit several years ago instructing homeschooling groups not to use the church facilities for their activities. However, this was addressed as a liability issue and not as a condemnation of homeschooling per se.

Anonymous said...

I can almost gaurentee this new member got the idea from some trusted source, such as a home teacher, who shared his opinion which was received as church doctrine.

Although I personally feel that homeschooling is a bad idea, I believe the Church has remained mum. It would tickle me, though, if someone perceived as official would praise public schools in a GC or church magazine forum. I would LOVE to see it become a "one piercing in your ear" kind of issue. Seriously, that would really put a smile on my face.

Anonymous said...

As a homeschooling parent, I am aware of only that one letter directing that church buildings not be used for regular homeschool activities (for liability reasons). However, the many directives related to the responsibility of parents to educate their children, and to be mindful of adverse worldly influences seems to put the bias TOWARDS not away from homeschooling as an appropriate means to follow the counsel of our General Authorities.

Anonymous said...

My bishop homeschools his children as do many of the other families in our ward. Some of these people serve on the High Counsel.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your comments everyone. That was my understanding as well. The only thing I can take issue with is implying that homeschooling is a better way to follow the counsel of the church regarding educating children. I think you could make the argument the other way as well: Be of the world, but not in the world, for example. I guess it somewhat depends on where you live and what the alternative options are.

In any case, I think we all agree that the church is nuetral on the subject.